POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Colin Doncaster
Date: 26 Aug 1999 15:07:32
Message: <37C59073.90ADBB50@bentanimation.com>
Mike wrote:

> Parsing shouldn't be a problem.  The hard part is figuring out how to render the
> surface.  This is the example given in the Renderman Interface Specification:
> And you would probably want a trim_curve section inside nurbs_patch.  Anyway,
> someone feel like coding this up real quick? ;)

    Basing my answer on the knowledge (which there is not a lot of on povray in my
mind as we speak) that povray tesselates everything into triangles before render
time, rendering shouldn't be a problem.  All that would be needed is a nurbs
tesselater into the pipeline, i haven't looked at the povray code but wouldn't this
be how the bicubic patches are handled or is it directly rendering the bicubic
surface (not tesselating it).

  C.

--
Colin Doncaster