POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Ken
Date: 26 Aug 1999 05:15:37
Message: <37C50582.F97CCB2C@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Felix Petriconi <fel### [at] ruhr-uni-bochumde> wrote:
> : (I know that there is
> : a utility by Chris Colefax which reduces the number of triangles.)
>
>   If you are talking about the triangle mesh compressor, two points:
>   1) It doesn't reduce the number of triangles, it just stores them in a
> more compact format.
>   2) The macro by Chris just reads the compressed data into povray (and
> creates the mesh), it doesn't generate it.

It should also be noted that the mesh compressor utility while reducing
file sizes also has a minor disadvantage of increasing parsing times and
adds a bit of overhead to the memory usage of the program. I have not found
it considerable enough to worry about yet but with extremely large mesh
files this extra burden could exceed your memory capabilities.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: