POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Charles
Date: 25 Aug 1999 21:42:28
Message: <37C49BE6.1DEF6C67@enter.net>
>   What are the advantages of NURBS (or should I say NURBSes?) over
>  bicubic pathces?

Wha....? I thought bicubic patches *were* a specific subset of NURBs?
General NURB support, therefore, would be more flexible, by doing
anything a patch can do but being more adaptable? Wouldn't it? Okay,
If I'm wrong, blame it on being tired. I shouldn't be allowed near
a keyboard when I'm tired.

As to the matter of smaller file size... yeah, guess so, although I'd
be more concerned with render-time memory savings than stored file
sizes. Bezier patches, if I remember rightly, have (or at least had?)
an option to choose between patch types that preprocessed to triangles
or on-the-fly control point calculations. This traded off memory size
for computation speed depending on your needs. I imagine if
generalized NURBs were implemented, it would have similar options.
Nowadays, with faster processors, computations speed would probably
be less of a concern than available memory with huge models. Could
be nice in that case.

Charles
--
http://www.enter.net/~cfusner
"...Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time,