POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : setting options : Re: setting options Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: setting options
From: Ken
Date: 25 Aug 1999 14:52:02
Message: <37C43B1B.2BDFD74B@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Parse the entire file looking for command-line options? Might not be
> feasible, since they need to be done first.
>
> Bob

There could be rules of hierarchy established to facilitate this. Take
for example you currently cannot use a declared object until you create
it i.e.

object {foo}

#declare foo = sphere{0,1 pigment())

  For instance you could specify that any command line options must be at
the top of the file before any scene description language is used or it will
be ignored or an error is returned. I have often wished for this feature and
see it as a way to help eliminate having to have multiple files to render a
scene. Wouldn't it be nice to set all of your animation options in the same
file for quick changes ? The same is true of many of the other features that
demand they be specified on the command line or by the appropriate settings
in an ini file.
  I have always assumed there was a technical reason prohibiting this so have
just let it slide. Remco "the rebel" de Korte just happened to voice what I
have been afraid to voice myself.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: