POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Ken
Date: 25 Aug 1999 13:26:27
Message: <37C4270D.4A27A7E3@pacbell.net>
Felix Petriconi wrote:

> Yes, the representation might be easyer with triangles, but the files with the
> triangles might be a little bit bigger than the nurbs description. Once I
> created
> a TIE fighter with Rhino. The size was about 12 MB. The PovRay meshfile
> was about 125 MB and it took some time to parse it. (I know that there is
> a utility by Chris Colefax which reduces the number of triangles.)
>
> Greetings Felix

One thing I have heard other Rhino users mention is that when exporting
the file to pov format they first do a triangle count reduction. If you
use smooth triangles in Pov you don't need nearly the number of triangles
you would need to see a smooth surface anyway. You can probably reduce
your triangle count considerably and still have a good looking model.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: