POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Ken
Date: 25 Aug 1999 12:13:40
Message: <37C415FD.23910E42@pacbell.net>
Felix Petriconi wrote:
> Are there other tools or programs wich support the possibility to export
> bicubic patches into PovRay format?

SPatch is the preferred utility of many people and is highly capable.
http://www.cableone.net/alyson/spatch.html

> Nieminen, You asked for the advantages of NURBS. I do not know the maths
> but  there have to be a reason, that proffessional programs like Maya,
> Houdini and others support NURBS. (This might not be the best argument,
> but it supports a little bit that NURBS have advantages against bicubic
> patches. Greetings, Felix

I think one of the main advantages with nurbs is that the format is good for
modelling complex shapes with inside of a modelling environment. Since pov
has no direct nurb manipulation capabilities, and it is not a modeller, it
is just as easy to represent the final modelled shape with simple triangles.
There is no real difference in the final raytraced image no matter which
method is used and there would be a large overhead to adding nurbs support
to Povray.

I am not well informed where nurbs are concerned and what I have said may
be wrong.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: