POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Black spots on a height field : Re: Black spots on a height field -solved Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black spots on a height field -solved
From: Ken
Date: 25 Aug 1999 01:10:15
Message: <37C37A85.4B57427A@pacbell.net>
Nick Portelli wrote:

> What type of image do you normally use?  Is there one better than the
> other.  I'm going to use tga, but what about the others?

  I personaly use .tga files but I suppose there is no reason that you cannot
use .gif for 8 bit 256 color HF images and .bmp and .png are also acceptable
for use as 16 bit 16 million color images. It should also be noted that you
can also use 24 bit images for HF's but internaly they will be represented
as 16 bit and the extra is ignored.
  The reason I use .tga is I often either create my HF images using povray's
hf_gray_16 option and my standard output is tga. Also the program Leveller
which I have tested a bit here and there also outputs a hf_gray_16 .tga file
that is similar in construction to Pov's internal version of it.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: