POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Black spots on a height field : Re: Black spots on a height field -solved Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black spots on a height field -solved
From: Ken
Date: 25 Aug 1999 00:22:07
Message: <37C36F3D.12DEEC7A@pacbell.net>
Wojtek Bauman wrote:

> Howdy
>
> I resized the image I made a HF from (width*2, height*2) and all the
> black spots disappeared.
> Thank you again.

  Your welcome. This is a good time to point out to anyone who uses height
fields in their scenes that the resolution quality of your HF is directly
proportional to the resolution of the image used to create it. The higher
the resolution of the image the higher the resolution your HF can have. I
generally use nothing less the 600x600 unless it will be used for something
minor like a rust spot on a piece of metal or the HF is used for something
like gently rolling hills. If there are any large variations in the heights
in adjacent areas the larger resolutions become more critical and can also
greatly reduce gridding and cracking as is often a complaint where HF's are
used.
  Another point to consider is the color depth of the image used. If you
use an 8 bit 256 color image for your HF you are limited to the number of
Hf values that can be obtained to 256 total values. If on the other hand
you use a 16 bit 16 million color image you have considerably greater
control over how many different height values are possible in the HF
itself. There is good reason why the Pov team added the hf_gray_16 option
and this is to allow you greater control of the use of HF's in your scenes.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: