POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lenses, light and photons : Re: lenses, light and photons Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:12:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lenses, light and photons
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 24 Aug 1999 23:48:03
Message: <37C36801.F66A3B26@Kopp.com>
Philip Bartol wrote:

> b) this has something to do with how POV handles light....
>
> which brings me to this post.
>
> I'm assuming at this point that the reason there is a photon patch for POV is
> that POV doesn't track light, but rather it's effect on other objects (i.e.
> reflection).... if this is the case, could that be the reason why when I make

This is indeed the case.  Ray tracers trace rays of light _backwards_ from
the camera into the scene and determine the amount of light at a point by
using 'shadow rays' which always go straight from the point in question to
the various light sources in the scene.  Shadow rays are _not_ bent by
lenses, bounced by mirrors, etc.  You will need to use photon mapping
(available at http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm) if you want to focus
light with a lens or reflect light off of a mirror.

-Nathan