POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug in noise functions? : Re: Bug in noise functions? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:11:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in noise functions?
From: Ken
Date: 24 Aug 1999 22:50:29
Message: <37C359C2.2C31A5F2@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Before I post a bug report, I'd like some confirmation of what I've found. There
> seems to be a (very conspicuous) bug in the various noise functions. It exhibits
> itself as banding after a certain _negative_ distance, along any axis, from the
> origin. This distance varies depending on the noise function: it is around
> 78.125 for 1/f noise (granite), 312.5 (78.125*4) for DNoise and Agate noise, and
> around 10000 for Perlin noise (bozo, bumps, spotted).
> Furthermore, in 1/f and DNoise the bug seems to become more pronounced at
> 78.125*2 and 78.125*4
> I've tested this on POVWin 3.1g (Watcom and VC compile) and the Superpatch (3.1e
> codebase)

I see what you see I think:

1- tex1 hardly noticable but I see two horizontal bands at 1/3 and 2/3
2- tex2 Very pronounced on left side of screen
3- tex3 Unsure but possibly similar to #1
4- tex4 Down right freaky - prevelant in upper left of image

 For what it's worth they render with the same results in Pov v3.01r1.watcom
so if it is a bug or programming error it has been around for quite a while.
When I get time I will reformat your code and check it with my install of
Pov v2.2 and see if it goes back even further.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: