POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Site problem : Re: Site problem Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Site problem
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 24 Aug 1999 00:32:49
Message: <37C220FC.52767D8C@geocities.com>
Matt Swarm wrote:

> Ken:
>
> I love a good mystery.
>
> The respondants have taken what seems to be the right tack.  Japanese
> consistently mix in western characters and names, even in their
> Japanese-language printed material.  All without translation or even
> transliteration.  Just 'plop.'
>
> BUT... a look at the HTML source does NOT remind me of Unicode or extended
> character sets.  Too many $-signs and not enough characters wrapping into
> the upper range of the normal 255-character ASCII set.   It doesn't look
> like other Japanese sites, if memory serves.
>
> If my off-the-cuff peek has led me astray... I'll blame it on sleep
> deprivation.  If not, I'd guess somebody's HTML editor DLL went all scwewy.

Yes, it is Japanese, but not the most common encodings. It is not EUC-JP nor
Shift-JIS. It is "JIS" or ISO-2022-JP. But additionally it has a lot of
Katakana/Hiragana and not so much Kanji. This can also make it look different.

Just use Netscape on RedHat Linux 6.0 and you'd see it all by selecting
"Japanese (Auto-Detect)". For those of you on Windows, you have to first have
Unicode or Japanese font installed and then change the Netscape preferences to
use that font for Japanese.

Now, if you love a good mystery, here is how to solve this one. First, get a
Japanese font setup and working. You can test it out by hitting my favorite
test site:  http://www.sanrio.co.jp/ (I'm pretty sure they'll be around for a
while)

Next, go to the mysery site. Now that you are there, by the URL you guess it's
Japanese. First try viewing using "Japanese (EUC-JP)". Nope. No dice. Now try
"Japanese (Shift-JIS). Nope. Not a Japanese MS Windows kinda site :-).  Now try
"Japanese (Auto-Detect). Bingo! So it's Japanese, but not one of those two
encodings. That leaves "JIS"/ISO-2022-JP.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.