POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface Online Tutorial - I have a website now : Isosurface question Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface question
From: David Heys
Date: 23 Aug 1999 20:19:52
Message: <37C1E489.68910B68@hotmail.com>
I agree! Your examples and tutorial finally prompted me to download the
Superpatch. I've been playing around with it and it's quite interesting,
but also very frustrating. I kind of feel like a blindfolded gunman who
has been spun around and told to shoot at the target. I don't have
enough confidence in my math abilities at the moment to be able to
predict the results of my experiments once they go beyond the simple
sphere/cylinder/superellipsoid.

Any suggestions, tutorials, sample forumlae, etc.. would be welcome.
Most of my results, though interesting, seem to end up being infinite
(or seem so) in size. :{P

I "did" get an interesting effect with this:

difference {
 isosurface{
  function{ abs(cos(x)+cos(z)+sin(y))}
  threshold 0.25
  sign 1
  bounded_by{sphere {0,80}}
  hollow
 }
 torus {85,30 hollow}
 pigment {rgb<(63/255),(38/255),(7/255)>}
 finish {specular 0.76 roughness 0.075 ambient 0.54 diffuse 0.62}
}

I have a question on this as well. I'll post an image in
binaries.images. I tried plunking a light inside this object. Light
pours out quite nicely onto the plane that intersects the object, but
does not shine within (even with a Hollow added to the isosurface and
torus). It's almost as if the "holes" in the object let light pass
through, but not impact upon the interior of the object. Am I wrong in
this?

David