POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : How do I animate? : Re: How do I animate? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I animate?
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 22 Aug 1999 16:44:29
Message: <37C061C1.BCCF3881@geocities.com>
Spock wrote:

> Time to eat my words (yum).  I rewrote your flocking
> algorithm in Java and it was tough.  Simple little things
> like subtracting two vectors or normalizing a vector
> are not supported in the language (like they are in POV)
> so you have to write them yourself.
>
> Not only that but you lose access to some of the great
> utility inc files like Colefax's clock mod or splines.
>
> I guess my respect for the POV language has gone up a
> notch or two.  Just had to try the alternative to be sure.

There are a few different Vector math packages that can be used, including
one that comes with Java3D (I'm liking that more and more these days).
Probably the biggest problem in going to Java is knowing which Java libraries
to use. (<commercial>And if you do a tool in the full-blown Java3D, you get
OpenGL/Direct3D/Mesa support for free.</commercial>)

I'd be interested in looking over what you've done, as in the abstract the OO
programming aspects of Java should make things easier. Then again, it might
be that these algorithms just aren't well suited for that.

However, losing access to the POV-Ray .inc files is probably a big issue,
though.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.