POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : memory leak in 3.1g? : Re: memory leak in 3.1g? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory leak in 3.1g?
From: Steve
Date: 20 Aug 1999 18:21:55
Message: <37BDD20B.AAF0364A@ndirect.co.uk>
This doesn't help, or answer your problem Dennis, but I'd like to
see a feature that uses the swap file and memory differently,
I'll explain:

When parsing a scene that needs to swap for a few days it sounds
asthough the machine is working something out, placing an answer
to that in the swap file, reading that answer in order to find
out where an object goes or something, deleting that answer, and
putting the object place info inot the swap file and then
starting over again for the next object.

Would it be possible to have POV use memory until it's full and
then instead of starting to swap, putting say the last ten
percent of memory into the swap file and there fore having ten
percent of memory to play with unitl it's full and doing the same
again over and over rather than constantly reading and writing to
the swap file.

I don't know if this would be possible or not, but it would speed
those types of render up considerably.

--
Cheers
Steve