POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Freezes my computer!!! : Re: POV Freezes my computer!!! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Freezes my computer!!!
From: TonyB
Date: 19 Aug 1999 16:58:05
Message: <37BC6115.BE76D473@panama.phoenix.net>
> Boy I keep hearing bad thing over and over with regards to ATI boards.

The board has been nothing but great in the time I've had it. This is my first
problem.

> There are no .dll's that would have been replaced by ther ATI setup file.

I hope you're right...

> All of Pov's .dlls are local to it's own directory. Make sure that your
> windows settings are correct i.e. color depth and screen resolution.

That hasn't changed a bit.

> Other than that it may be a direct conflict with the ATI drivers and the
> Pov software. If all else fails reinstall your previous drivers and forget
> about the updated drivers. Was there a reason for installing them in the
> first place other than they were recommended by the manufacturer ?

I only got them because they now include ICD drivers for the OpenGL, which
means that now all my 3D apps and games can be accelerated by it, and because
I pride myself on always having the latest version of everything I run. I
really don't want to uninstall them...

BTW, I ran an experiment. I restarted the machine with progman instead of
exporer, and POV ran just fine. I restarted with explorer and killed all of
ATI's background stuff (CTRL+ALT+DEL, you know), and the machine once again
froze. I'm stumped...

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB