POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparent Textures : Re: Transparent Textures Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent Textures
From: Ken
Date: 17 Aug 1999 01:46:03
Message: <37B8F70A.6FC5E11B@pacbell.net>
Philip Bartol wrote:

> I had an idea for a cheat for doing a section of metal decking with holes in
> it using the marble pattern.
>
> I used a marble pattern for a pigment, did a color_map starting with a rgbt of
> 1 at 0, ended with "DarkSlateGray" at 1 and had a tight transition at around
> 8 so I would get a hard edge between the metal and the open space.
>
> The problem is that I found that while the texture had open spaces, the solid
> parts of the texture only where on the surface of my test object. I figured
> that since the pigment goes through the object if you cut it, that using a
> transparent color would show the solid portions thorugh the object.
>
> My metal floor that this is going to be used on is very thin, so I could still
> use it as is, just make the thickness of the cylinder I'm using very thin so
> that none of the light would pass between the upper and lower surface of the
> object, but I was wondering if I the results that I got where the correct
> ones.
>
> PHIL

 Your results are correct because the marble pattern exists in 3d. If you
want to have your open areas travel through any thickness of material try
instead the gradient pattern. With enough turbulence added in i.e. <0.3,0,0>
you can come close to the marble pattern and still have the clear areas below
the surface too.

  You can get more info on the "perlin noise" function which is used for the
marble pattern and others used in Pov at:

 http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: