POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #read fiasco : Re: BLESS YOU! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BLESS YOU!
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 11 Aug 1999 10:53:01
Message: <37B18E4D.379CDEB9@giwersworld.org>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:35:39 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
> >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> >--------------353C53C99B3BCF3BB8CA77D4

> >Ron Parker wrote:

> >> Just because some idiot at Nutscrape doesn't understand USENET
> >> culture doesn't mean you have to meekly follow along.

> >       When .com domains were permitted, internet culture began a
> >permanent change that will never turn back.

> Learn some history, then come tell me about the Internet.  If you
> can find me.  It wasn't .com that changed the world, it was aol.com
> and netscape.com in particular.  And it wasn't for the better.

	Did your great-great grandfather hate Henry Ford for ruining his
buggywhip business?

	As to learning history, only AOL 4 started using internet
protocol so that is was no mroe than an ISP gateway. Log on to
AOL and use Eudora and everything else just like a real ISP.

	And with all the lawsuits and legally (and tax deductable
upgrades) it is the most reliable and available ISP in the US.
And you never have to use an AOL utility. Want to keep running it
down?

	Your opinions are yours and like elbows. Everyone has at least
two of them.

> >       I am hardly sympathetic to people who try to turn back the clock
> >by claiming a company with maybe 40% of the installed market
> >doesn't understand. And the other big chunck of the installed
> >market is Free Agent. Shall the world go backwards because
> >universities have not paid to move forward?

> Bzzzt.  trn is in the #2 spot, with almost as many users as Nutscrape.
> In most non-alt groups, the proportion is higher for trn.

	BS to trn. Only in the primitive university market without
graphics.

	There are dozens of websites courtiously logging hits by
newreader. tin is in the noise. Look it up. I am not motivated to
deal with such nonsense.

	Try it simply this way. Almost EVERY commerical ISP offers
something Win or Mac compatible.

	By every industry measure 90% of the installed market in the US
is Win or Mac. Reported usage is 80% Win or Mac.

	tin trn and all the varients are in that 10-20% of the rest.

	Don't kid yourself. REad the industry news.

	Guess what? The current Linux convention expects to draw 20,000
up from 12,000 last year. Now I tell you, that is a real
installed base.

	If you have been having your fun BSing the newcomers on this
newsgroup that is your business.

	Do not expect me to put up with it. It is likely I have been in
this business since before you were born. And given the
demographics of the computer business ... please, arrogance is
part of being a programmer. What else am I exprssing?

	I have no ego impressing someone else. My only ego is when
someone uses what I say and then tells me something I did not
know. That is my one indication of success. Nothing else.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)