POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal blur confidence : Re: Focal blur confidence Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur confidence
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 9 Aug 1999 06:01:36
Message: <37AEA702.606602CF@giwersworld.org>
Ken wrote:

>   I have wondered about this myself in the past and blamed it on my lack
> of experience with the process.

	That is three of us.

>   I think the same holds true for the extinction level setting used in
> scattering media. An extinction level of one is horrible while a value
> of 0.1 is much closer to what one might expect. It too seems to suffer
> from a scaling problem... perhaps a misplaced decimal point in the
> source code.

	But I would guess it is not a mistake but a toss up between the
number the equation requires and the log of that number. For
example, a common analog volume control feels linear but the
amount it changes internally is logarithmic. If it were linear
lowest hearable to highest volume would be in the last ten
percent. (Not quite but that is the idea.) Since they have to
pick some rational scale make it a judgement call.

--
<blink>-------please--don't-----------------</blink>

http://www.giwersworld.org/artii/
http://www.giwersworld.org/artiii/