POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal blur confidence : Re: Focal blur confidence Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur confidence
From: Ken
Date: 9 Aug 1999 02:44:22
Message: <37AE770F.A2A0AE60@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Am I the only one who thinks that the confidence value in the focal blur
> is not scaled very well? The default value (if I remember right, 0.9) is
> not very good, and every time I want decent focal blur, I have to set it
> to something like 0.9999 and I still get a bit of graininess. So 0.9999 seems
> to be a minimum to get decent focal blur; 0.9 is not enough; all the values
> below 0.9 are completely useless.
>   This may be too late, but I think that it should be scaled better. For
> example 0.5 would be the default value and it would give the same quality as
> the current 0.9, and the quality which you get currently with 0.9999 would
> be got with something like 0.9 or 0.95 or something.
>
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
> ):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/

  I have wondered about this myself in the past and blamed it on my lack
of experience with the process.

  I think the same holds true for the extinction level setting used in
scattering media. An extinction level of one is horrible while a value
of 0.1 is much closer to what one might expect. It too seems to suffer
from a scaling problem... perhaps a misplaced decimal point in the
source code.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: