POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Updated list of links : Re: Updated list of links Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Updated list of links
From: Ken
Date: 4 Aug 1999 11:24:50
Message: <37A85A8B.18F6501C@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   The dead links problem is extremely annoying in the internet.
>   If you have a page with 100 links, in a couple of weeks about 10 of them
> will stop working. In 6 months about 50 of them will stop working. In a
> couple of years at least 80 of them will not work.
>   The most annoying one is the first one: You can't have lots of links more
> than a couple of days with all of them working.

 I have found that college students are very irresponsible about their web
site when they have them hosted at the university they are attending. Once
out of college they simply let them dissapear without letting anyone know
about it. The only pages that seem to survive are those hosted by the full
time professors and teaches and even they change content enough that you
cannot rely on them.
 In defense of my own links collection I am trying with sincerity to keep
it current and up to date but I have no control over people changing their
sites and failing to notify me that they have done so. Fortunatly I have
so many links it will take you a while to find the 2 -5 % that are broken
at any one time so it is still a valuable resource for everyone.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm