POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Twysted.net : Re: Twysted.net Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twysted.net
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 1 Aug 1999 15:52:00
Message: <37A4A530.3411E03C@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Twyst wrote:

> Steve <ste### [at] puzzlecraftcom> wrote in message
> > The main, and only reason I visited your site so many times was
> INFORMATION.
> >
> > The tutorials, examples, source code, includes, objects, textures.....all
> > wonderful!
> >
> > I thought the tiny fonts you used stunk. I could not read them on either
> of my
> > browsers. Give up on the typography and stick with what you do so very,
> very
> > well.
>
> Hrm. what platform? (Solaris?)

Yip, solaris, for example. Windows browser just like to add a 10% to the
font size. So this is general to every non-windows box. That way you can
adjust for that. Though in general I am very comfortable with 12 to
14pt. It's just easier to read.
I personally was very glad, that I knew most of the site by heart. So I
could browse without being able to read.

> I set the fonts by point size (10 point), as opposed to relative size. I
> know of problems with the Mac for that one - point sizes aren't the same
> across platforms. I know it's somewhat bad for some people, but I have this
> love of CSS.

Oh, I do as well, hardly any page without it in the last time. But I
generally let the fonts alone. That way it's also better to read for
people with eye-problems.
(Hey, I am mean, putting policial correctness on my side. That's rude)

> Also, the new twysted.net site is quite possibly NOT going to be 640x480x256
> friendly. Sorry, but that's no longer a net standard. 800x600x256
> (preferably more bpp, imho) is almost a minimum, and that's what I'll design
> for now.
>
> Twyst

Relying on a given resolution always brings you down to 'pixel-correct'
design. I read some articles, and decided to stay away from that. Your
milage may vary. And probably does.

Axel

(It feels good just to chat about the site, how good must browsing be)