POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A normal question : Re: A normal question Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A normal question
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 1 Aug 1999 15:19:58
Message: <37A49DA5.CE0B5F47@Kopp.com>
"Rune S. Johansen" wrote:

> I have a problem when I make a texture (say Texture1) with a normal and use
> it in a texture_map.
>
> I scale the Texture1 hundred times smaller inside a texture_map entry of
> another texture (say Texture2). I then scale Texture2 hundred times bigger.
>
> Now I thought the normal would look the same in Texture1 and Texture2 but it
> doesn't.

My first suggestion is to use a 'bumps' instead of 'bozo' for your normal.
Using 'bozo' means you are using a slope_map (albiet a default slope_map)
with a pattern that wasn't intended for use with normals, while
'bumps' was specifically designed for normals.  Using bumps will fix
the problem.

The second suggestion is to use the reset_children warp that is included in
both UVPov and the Superpatch.  Instead of scaling the children (entries in
the texture_map) by 1/100, just don't let POV apply the parent's scale
transformation to the children:

#declare Texture2 =
texture {
   gradient x
   texture_map {
      [0.5 Texture1 /*scale 1/100*/]  // commented out the scale factor
      [0.5 Texture1 /*scale 1/100*/]
   }
   scale 100
   warp{reset_children} // this undoes the scale 100 for the child textures
}

-Nathan