POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Twysted.net : Re: Twysted.net Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twysted.net
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 1 Aug 1999 13:51:10
Message: <37A4897C.765F31C9@geocities.com>
Twyst wrote:

> Well, as the overwhelming response is 'No Flash', I won't be using it.
>
> Here's a new question: What browsers are people running? I do try to keep my
> site text-friendly, but I need to know how high a level I should be using.
>  should I restrict myself to IE 3.0 and netscape 2? (god, I hope not!) )
>
> Personally, I'm going to shoot for html 4.0 compliant.

Well, HTML 4.0 might be a good target. Biggest thing I'd recommend is try to
keep things designed so as to degrade gracefully. Use nice markup to enhance
things, but if the extras aren't support, the information should still be
functional. One big thing is that there are still a lot of people out there on
MSIE 3.02. Good thing is that 3.02 had support for most of CSS.

When designing, I'd suggest to use MSIE 4.0 (gag! agh! ack!) and NN 4.5/6 as
base browsers, but check things on older stuff too. Unfortunately, you can't
easily have MSIE 3 and MSIE 4 on the same machine. I try to keep a system
around with MSIE 3.x (only have MSIE 4.0 at home because the new 98 computer
came loaded with it). Also try other browsers to see how the site holds up. I
usually run things through the current version of Lynx and also the WebTV
emulator. Sometimes nice design holds up well under these, sometimes things
only need minor tweaks. Also, a good thing about using Lynx to check your pages
is that it lets you see how web-indexing bots see your site.

Hmmmm. And using point sizes for fonts.... Hmmmm. Well if I have problems with
my hi-res linux setup here, I guess it's probably just that I don't have my
system configured to report the correct DPI (at least I hope that's all).

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.