POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height Field Data : Re: Height Field Data Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field Data
From: Ken
Date: 31 Jul 1999 22:01:38
Message: <37A3A9D5.30AB8781@pacbell.net>
David Vincent-Jones wrote:

> I am trying to convert 7.5' SDTS elevation data from
> the USGS site and have used the SDTSEPOV.EXE
> converter from BLM without any success.
> This should give a Targa (POV) output file
> Keep getting error messages "Error reading data record subfield"
> Anybody had a similar problem?

I noticed the following at the BLM site and it may explain the problem
you are having. Notice the mention of two different format:

  With the confusion caused by the USGS releasing DEMs and calling them
  SDTS files, I had to re-organize this directory to highlight the differences
  between the 2 very different formats (SDTS/DLG and SDTS/DEM). This is a
  direct reaction to the vast number of phone calls/email messages that report
  problems that turn out to be the result of trying to use a SDTS/DLG program
  with SDTS/DEM data and visa versa.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net