POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : thanks : Re: thanks Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thanks
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 31 Jul 1999 18:23:20
Message: <37A37776.1E50@unforgettable.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <37A### [at] compuservecom> , Chris Huff
> <Chr### [at] compuservecom>  wrote:
>
> > :-(
> > That means I will have to read about all these improvements, and won't
> > be able to use them. What is this speed improvement feature?
>
> It is a kind of "cache" when allocating lots of small blocks of memory
> (which POV-Ray does very often). Try it and you will see the difference with
> almost any scene. Try for example pyramid2.pov from the macro examples that
> come with POV-Ray, and look especially at the parsing time. Renbdering is
> fast also, but this example shows the improvement very drastically.

Sounds neat, but you say this is only on the PPC version. Is there some
reason why it's not implemented for the 68k version? Lack of test
equipment? Missing hardware? I know there's not too much of us left, but
we need the speedup more than anyone. ;_;

If it's just a matter of lacking testing equipment, then would you
consider tossing it in as an "experimental hack" and letting us tell you
whether it works or not?

-Xplo