POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Twysted.net : Re: Twysted.net Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twysted.net
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 31 Jul 1999 05:37:02
Message: <37A2C390.559082BF@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Twyst wrote:

> Well, I'm currently working on restarting twysted.net
>
> After problems with webservers, work, and other fun stuff, I'm gonna give it
> a whirl again.
>
> some of the thoughts I'm working on are thus:
>
> 1) Use Macromedia Flash 3/4
>     - there are reasons for this:
>         - almost universal in scope (I know of linux, Mac, and windows
> versions)
>         - free CGI app that can change flash files dynamically
> (www.swift-tools.com)
>         - Small size and bandwidth.
>         - Removes screen size limits, as it scales auto-magically.
>
> 2) Customizability.
>     -I'd like to make it somewhat like slashdot in terms of a sidebar that
> you can customize to whatever you like. This means a free membership kind of
> thing.
>
> 3) Content
>     - Well, I'd like to get more content than I had before. I'd like to have
> such things as:
>             - Monthly/Weekly reviews (for more than just win/dos)
>             - Tutorials (More than just links - actual tutorials written by
> me or someone on the twysted.net staff (See below for this) )
>             - Macros, Includes, Objects, Patches, Textures, etc. in a less
> fragmented fashion.
>             - links galore. (Like I'll ever catch up to Ken.... )
>             - User submitted gallery - with web submission and possibly a
> user-voted Hall of Fame..
>
> 4) Staff
>     - To do much of this, I need staff. I need people willing to write
> reviews for software ( I only have access to Win and Dos, really) , people
> to write articles and tutorials, etc. Sadly, there isn't that much I can
> offer as incentive for this. I can give you a fancy twysted.net email addy,
> a twysted.net subdomain, etc. Not a whole lot, as I don't make money doing
> this.
>
> 5) Advertising
>     - I may have to put (shudder) banners on the page, to help pay for some
> of it. ones I am looking at are: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. I plan on
> trying to keep it topical to raytracing, or at least graphics.
>
> 6) Separation of the files and the rest of the site
>     - I'm setting up files.twysted.net as a simple file storage, on a slower
> server, in order to keep my bandwidth down (4 Gigs a month comes to a HEFTY
> bill. )
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Offers for help?
>
> Twyst

Comments:

YIIPPPIIIEEEE, twyst is coming back.
Uarghhh, probably not for me :-((((
I just tried to view something on macromedias site, no go for Solaris.

I would recommend going for customizing one of the many solutions based
on php3. I think both freshmeat and slashdot use it. There are a lot of
solutions there already, some of them with connection to mysql. I saw
your apache logo often enough lately, so those solutions should go for
you.
Check out freshmeat, I see anouncements of a lot of things with
php/mysql every now and then.

Advertise for O'Reilly. They rule. (damn, I get not a penny for that
one.)

Axel