POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : making body parts ?? : Re: making body parts ?? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: making body parts ??
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 25 Jul 1999 13:06:06
Message: <379b3d16.10812573@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:02:45 +0300, Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee>
wrote:

>Then prepare to feel insulted:
>What's this Dr. Who, anyway? A TV show? I think I saw a computer game on that
>theme once and never quite figured out what the hell was going on.
>Have I missed something good? :P

Not with the computer games you haven't!

But to put it into comparative perspective, the original Star Trek
series lasted 3 seasons before it ended (followed by a few years of
virtually nothing unless you count the - awful - cartoon series).
Doctor Who lasted over 20 seasons before it's first hiatus (of about
18 months IIRC) and a total of about 26 seasons (I forget) but has
been pretty much "on hold" for about the last 10 years.

Star Trek was revitalised by a series of movies which resulted in a
resumption of interest and, eventually, several new series's each of
which fared better than TOS (despite the fact that the first movie
wasn't generally raved about). The BBC seem to be currently
considering a second Dr Who movie after the 1995 TV Movie acheived
insufficient viewing figures in the states (did well over here
though).

As a series Dr Who varied wildly. The series was based around good,
interesting scripts. Sometimes the direction was good, the acting, the
music. the sets, the 'effects' etc. but equally there are fine
examples of men in rubber suits and poor acting/lighting/sets if you
look for them (and, sadly, not ALL the scripts were up to scratch
either). As a whole the percentage of times they got it "right" as
opposed to "wrong" (see rubber suits, acting etc.) was amazingly high
- resulting in a niche fandom which is still quite vocal (worldwide)
ten years after the series basically ended.

Erm... looking for something on topic. Oh yeah. Some of the online
fandom even tinker around with POV to re-create some of the aspects of
the show. They might even re-create lost episodes and new fan stories
if they ever get their seats in gear :)

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/
PS change ".duffcom" to ".net" if replying via e-mail