POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New video cards may offload POV : Re: New video cards may offload POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:26:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New video cards may offload POV
From: Jens Churchill
Date: 25 Jul 1999 10:40:04
Message: <379b21c4@news.povray.org>
> If you really want speed, Silicon Graphics has a motherboard that can
support
> 256 alpha RISC CPU's which are now running at 1,000 mhz for a total speed
of
> 256,000 mhz. Better have some really deep pockets for this.

Sillygon Graphics have an ALPHA cpu running at a 1000Mhz,,

I thought digital (compaq) uses/builds alpha processors and SGI uses MIPS
(R12K being the latest edition, running at 300Mhz), and a SINGLE motherboard
supporting 256 CPU's, I know that their deskside origin2000 sports 1-4 node
cards, 2-8 cpu's. And an Origin2000 rack system can house 1-256 node cards,
2-512 cpu's (R10K or R12K), but that's the entire rack-system, not a single
motherboard.

Could you please give some details on this?

Regards, Jens Berg Churchill.