POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I heard it on the news a few days ago... : Re: I heard it on the news a few days ago... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I heard it on the news a few days ago...
From: TonyB
Date: 27 Jul 1999 15:52:35
Message: <379DFFA4.D453E519@panama.phoenix.net>
> anyone else get the feeling that soon we're going to have too much power and
> we as humans just won't be able to handle it?

Let me think... NO. I think that 'the power' will never surpass our knowledge,
understanding, and thus, control. Even though one person may not fully
understand a piece of equipment and be able to full control it, there will be
other humans with him to aid in the full exploitation and utilization of the
technology. What I think is that since computer graphics and powerful computers
are so new, that a new generation of people will be able to understand them
better and use them more efficiently than us. Graphics will always look better
(until they match reality). Do you know who Jose Maria de Espona is, Lance?
Well, then, as you know he has dedicated a lot of time to making that huge
collection of nearly photorealistic models. Once the work is complete (probably
never) then graphics will truly reach their limit. All of these models and
renderers will have no difference with reality and then, then things will really
get out of hand. Think about it: I just model someone and render that person
killing another and blame them in court as I present my 'evidence' in my
defense. Then we will have serious problems...

Stop rendering! Stop the fall of humanity now!

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Non nova, sed nove.