POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : metal : Re: metal Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: metal
From: Mike
Date: 26 Jul 1999 20:35:49
Message: <379CFD18.382328F6@aol.com>
> Actually got anistrophy you don't need them, it's just another shading type
> dependant on surface normals, it doesn't have anything to do with UV
> co-ords.

You're right.  I've seen renderman shaders that use uv values to create the look
of brushed metal, but that's not really anistrophy.  Well it is, but technically
it isn't.  Or maybe technically it is - the original question seemed to be
related to brushed metal.  Little grooves are what causes the anistrophic
effect.  You can make a sphere look like a christmas ball wrapped in silk by
creating a halo-like highlight, but it looks fake.