POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : making body parts ?? : Re: making body parts ?? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: making body parts ??
From: Charles
Date: 25 Jul 1999 15:20:53
Message: <379B631E.815452B0@enter.net>
Ken wrote:
>What was the basic premise of the show ? Star Trek was to explore
>new worlds, new civilazations, and to boldly go where no man had
>gone before.

Wow, something I can actually answer. This opportunity might
never present itself again <vbg>. Well, let's see, as I recall,
the first Doctor, member of an race calling themselves the Time
Lords wanted his granddaughter to receive her preliminary
education on Earth (the reason was never clear to me, but in
later episodes it was hinted the Doctor had part Terran ancestry).
The Time Lords of course absolutely forbade it, and the Doctor
wasn't much of one to give a damn what they did or didn't allow
so he er, "borrowed" a TARDIS and took her to an old point in
Earth history (which just happened to be the"modern" era when the
story began, of course). Now a TARDIS, being the apex of Time
Lord technology it presumably wasn't easy to swipe one, and the
Doctor got around this by stealing an antiquated bucket of junk
(but don't tell HIM that! He's fond of the "old girl") that could
just about *barely* navigate timespace correctly.  For the first
several seasons, it was pretty much about getting the balky TARDIS
to take them where/when they wanted to be, but eventually the
Doctor (who changed companions every couple seasons or so) turned
into more or less a wandering exile/adventurer, facing off against
numerous minor, and a couple major arch-enemies (The Master,
the Daleks, etc).

Let's see. On topic... on topic... er, Oh yes, and the business
about several different Doctors was attributable to the fact that
Time Lords (what was it? up to 12 times?) could "regenerate" when
fatally injured. In essence, their own bodies (through a mechanism
that was never fully explained) invoked a major overhaul of their
DNA physically transforming them while repairing the damage. (which
was a handy plot device that meant a new actor could be selected to
carry on the role<g>)...and, er... body parts being regenerated
would be challenging to raytrace? Oh well, I tried.

Charles
--
http://www.enter.net/~cfusner
"...Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time,