POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New video cards may offload POV : Re: New video cards may offload POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New video cards may offload POV
From: Ken
Date: 24 Jul 1999 23:46:26
Message: <379A8802.F53A31D2@pacbell.net>
Jim Kress wrote:

> Really?  Even with the onboard shading, lighting, and rendering functions?
> Or would a card specific version of POV be required to take care of those
> functions?
>
> --
> Jim

 With the current way that Pov works it calculates each pixel internal to the
program before it outputs to the screen. There are no internal routines that
take advantage of external hardware accelerations. If you read the literature
carefully they make reference to direct x and openGL instruction sets which
are specificaly written to take advantage of such abilities. Pov works in a
completely different way. There's has been a lot of talk about writting an
openGL preview mode for Pov but it is problematic and would still not help
for final renders. Quality of the images produced but direct X and openGL
are inferior to Pov's raytracing methods anyway and I personaly think it
would be a step backward.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net