POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV on IRIX 6.5 : Re: POV on IRIX 6.5 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV on IRIX 6.5
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 23 Jul 1999 06:30:50
Message: <3798445a@news.povray.org>
Marc Schimmler <sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote:
: I often play around with parameters. Could be anti-aliasing, resolution
: or the mosaic size. I would have to change the parameters inside the
: ini-file, so most of the time I just bring back the last command in the
: shell with one keystroke and the change the variable.

  I really don't understand what are you talking about.

  Are you aware that any setting you set in the command line will override
the one in the ini file? And that you can have settings in the ini file _AND_
the command line?
  For example, if your povray.ini file have these parameters:

-w160 -h120 +d +v +p +x +b50

and you now type this command:

x-povray -i scene -w320 -h240 +a0.1

povray will then render the image using these settings:

-i scene -w320 -h240 +a0.1 +d +v +p +x +b50

  Moreover, if you want to turn _off_ some parameter, you can do it using
'-' instead of '+'. For example, if you don't want to display the image,
you can specify the option '-d' at the command line and the image will not
be displayed regardless of your ini file settings.

  It surely is a _lot_ more comfortable to have the common settings which
you always use into povray.ini and specify only the ones that change all
the time at the command line.