POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... : Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)...
From: Mike
Date: 22 Jul 1999 19:17:16
Message: <3797A4B2.F6ADC4E@aol.com>
> 2) If it is, then how come the images on the Lightwave 3D page look much
> cleaner and more realistic than I have ever seen Povray do?

Can you provide a URL to what you think are the best images on that site?
Perhaps we could point you to some similiar POV-Ray images to look at.

As far as your other questions are concerned, I don't have a clue.  I always
thought that voxel was just a fancy term for particle - like a 3D version of a
pixel.  It's difficult to compare a raytracer like POV-Ray to what they use for
movies.  I would guess that the particle effects in the movies aren't even
rendered and that they just store the positions of particles and then apply the
effect in post.

I've seen tutorials on using voxels to create blobby effects in LW, something I
think POV blobs can do much better.

-Mike