POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... : Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)...
From: TonyB
Date: 22 Jul 1999 18:09:26
Message: <3797884C.4BDBC17B@panama.phoenix.net>
> > 2) If it is, then how come the images on the Lightwave 3D page look much
> > cleaner and more realistic than I have ever seen Povray do?
>  Because they have computers 100 times more powerful than what we
>  can afford, and they are able to crank up the quality settings...

I'm sorry Fabien, but I'm going to have to dissagree with you. I have tried
Lightwave on a regular PC, and more than quality settings it is the superior
algorithms and renderers they use. They have people being payed to do these
things (R&D), while freelance programmers find papers by scientists
(mathematicians, physicists, etc.) and then implement them, modify them, and
don't always end up with the best result. The ones being payed normally do a
better job (with the obvious exception of Microsoft's programmers), specially
since they have better tools and resources to work with.

PS: Please don't flame. I am in no way implying that competent, highly-capable
programmers like the ones that do POV are doing a bad job, simply that they
don't have the time and resources that they big boys do. Thank you for
understanding. Go POV Team! Go Unofficial-Patch Team!

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Graphics rendered