POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... : Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)...
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 22 Jul 1999 17:08:35
Message: <37978800.A46985BB@skynet.be>
Equiprawn wrote:

> So in summary, my questions are:
>
> 1) Is Povray's media engine a voxel based engine?
 Well, very close.  The "intervals" keyword is the number of "voxels"
 that a ray passes trough.
 (but it is rather a series of slices of a given distance, instead
  of fixed size voxels (voxel means "volume element", as Pix-el)

> 2) If it is, then how come the images on the Lightwave 3D page look much
> cleaner and more realistic than I have ever seen Povray do?
 Because they have computers 100 times more powerful than what we
 can afford, and they are able to crank up the quality settings...

> 3) If Povray's media engine isn't a voxel based engine, what would be the
> benefits of converting it to one (ie, do voxels have any benefits over the
> current media implementation)?
  The most needed improvement for media is changing the sampling method
  (or giving the choice) from monte-carlo to another, quicker (as halos)
  samplig sheme.

> 4) Would it be difficult to implement this in a raytracer, or specifically
> in Povray?
  See above...

Fabien.