POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'IF EXISTS' technique to speed up animation restarts - possible? : Re: 'IF EXISTS' technique to speed up animation restarts - possible? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'IF EXISTS' technique to speed up animation restarts - possible?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:23:58
Message: <37976bad.14714521@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:30:50 -0600, Dave Tucker <dav### [at] altatechcom>
wrote:

>This begs the question  "What os are you using?"  Your "IFEXISTS"
>functionality does exist on unix platforms.

It exists in DOS/Windows too. AFAIK it doesn't exist in POV (which is
where I want to use it from - I want to put the decision making in the
scene file rather than inflict complexity on the wife).

>  I don't know if it's on
>those other OS's.  One posibility is to try to open the file for read
>only (without the O_CREAT flag).  The call would fail if the file
>doesn't exist.

That's an interesting idea (though I think I'd have to hard-code the
name of the output files).

Hmmm... there's nother suggestion below tha tI need to think about
too.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/
PS change ".duffcom" to ".net" if replying via e-mail