POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Looking for gears : Re: Looking for gears Server Time
16 May 2024 08:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for gears
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 22 Jul 1999 03:30:12
Message: <3796C87E.2088B3F7@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
David Wilkinson wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:17:21 GMT, dar### [at] engusfedu (xsqr) wrote:
>
> >Are there any utilities (programs, .inc's, plugins) for automating the
> >creation of gears?
> >
> >Also, how could I create an object (specifically gears) using involute
> >curves. I can see creating a curved surface, but what about a solid?
> >Is there a way of using polar coordinates in POV-Ray?
>
> I've wanted an excuse to do some gears, so here is my re-invention of the gear
wheel.
> It's different to Mr Schimmler's gear.inc file in as much as it's based more on
British/US
> practice which uses Diametral Pitch rather than Modul.
> It's also in macro form and may be a bit easier to understand.
> BTW as POV has a pretty full range of trig functions, as well as rotations,
translations,
> scaling, shearing, and a full matrix transformation it's easy to from polar to
cartesian.

Thanks David!

I will have a look at it. About two weeks ago the Loial Raven sent me
his version of a gear macro. He hasn't decided yet to publish it but I
would strongly encourage him to do so. It's much faster than mine when
it comes to csg because of the bounding he uses and it's a macro and not
an include file like mine (at time I was writing this no 3.1 version for
linux existed). Maybe I find some to improve my file and change it to a
macro.
I would also like to learn about the diametral pitch. If you have a
pointer for me I would be quite happy. My long term plan is to create a
library of technical parts for povray to have the possibility to
visualize mechanical constructions.

Have a nice day,

Marc

--