POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Star Wars, etc. : OK... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  OK...
From: TonyB
Date: 17 Jul 1999 12:34:48
Message: <3790A276.B3872367@panama.phoenix.net>
>   I haven't seen it yet myself and will probably wait for it to come out
> on cable in a year or two.

Wow. The Force is unusually strong in you, Kenobi. I couldn't find any reason
not to go. I guess your trying to save money? You're not thinking of buy 3d
studio, are you? You wouldn't betray us, would you? ;)

>   The corrugated metal you are referring to is commonly referred to as
> chicken foot deck plate or just deck plate for short. In all but a few
> cases it is welded together rather than held using bolts. If and when
> bolts are used they would in all likelihood be the type referred to as
> stove bolts which are the type with the smooth round head, a 1/4" square
> shaft immediately below the head going to round, and ultimately threaded
> at the oppopsite end. I would stick with the welded look for realism.
> The deck plates are generally sold in 4 x 8 ft. sheets and used in full
> sheets or cut with a cutting torch or nibbling tool to fit the space and
> design needs of the situation.

Fascinating. And now I know. Thank you for explaining all this. So I am
working with a 'deck plate' available in 4x8 'sheets' that should be 'welded'.
(That's way too many technical terms for me. jk) I think I know how to do the
welded look. Thanks for the idea.

>   I think the one problem I do see with the scene you posted is the height
> of the hand rails. They are fine for very short people but someone taller
> could trip over the ones you have in the posted image. It may be a problem
> with perspective that leads me to this conclusion because there is nothing
> around it to give it a sense of scale.

I thought they were fine for everybody. The idea of having a double rail is
for the tall people to use the top bar, and the little people to use the lower
bar. You're right about the scale thing. I really need to start working with
feet or meters. I've just been typing in numbers until I feel it looks right.
Maybe I should put some element like a tool or something in there. But, wait!
The bumps on the deck plate, can't they be used to give an idea of scale? Or
do they come in assorted sizes?

Thank you.

--
Anthony L. Bennett