POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height Field Warning : Re: Height Field Warning Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field Warning
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 13 Jul 1999 00:41:25
Message: <378ac375@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote :
>  I had saved the gif image with transparency set to the background color
> option set in PSP. When the pov went to render the file it found the
> transparency info contained in the gif image and was reversing (?) the
> operation of the HF process. Ultimately I re-saved with transparency
> disabled and it worked as expected.

    I had something similar happen to me over the weekend. While editing a
HF in Corel I switched to the imagemap, did some erasing, and switched back
to the HF and removed a similar section. When I rerendered the edges of the
erased area were suddenly at full height.
    Turns out the color I erased with was from the imagemap (I suppose) and
must have gotten added to the palette at the end (#255) when I saved,  even
though it looked black.
    Anyway, undoing and then selecting a low value color from the HF then
re-erasing fixed it.

    I don't remember if transparency is saved at the #255 position in the
palette.