POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height Field Warning : Re: Height Field Warning Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field Warning
From: Ken
Date: 13 Jul 1999 11:06:15
Message: <378B552F.647D1263@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> BTW, it would be nice if the transparency info in GIF could be put to good use,
> such as clipping out the transparent sections. The alpha channel could also be
> used, clipping out completely transparent parts. I can think of many
> applications for this (although all can be simulated with texture maps)
> Does this sound viable?
>
> Margus

  I think simply using black along with the water lever modifier in those
areas you wish to clip is a more reliable system. What was actually being
represented by the Hf was not the black field or the transparent white
field but instead it was the boundry layer between the two. If you experiment
with it a little bit you will see what I am talking about. I am surprised
it returned any height values at all. It may be that PSP was antialiasing
the pixels at the boundry and that is why there was something besides a
flat object produced.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net