POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Mpeg... : Re: Mpeg... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mpeg...
From: Gilles Adam
Date: 13 Jul 1999 09:03:55
Message: <378B3DB1.DC25D883@obs.univ-lyon1.fr>
Exploit wrote:

> What Mpeg encoders do you all use?  I TRYED to use Cmpeg, but it won't
> work... it just shows a document type thing in dos mode...
>
> PS.  I sure hope i'm asking the right thing...  I have alot of graphic files
> after done rendering and I want to make them into one file.  Animated Gif is
> too big.  I want MPEG! please help.

Hello...
I once used some free program found on the WEB, with sometimes strange
results, tried to get some help from the makers, and got
the feeling that there is no support to be expected, which is
as expected in fact. So, I bought Vitec's MpegMaker, and I am quite
happy with that... It is parametrisable, although there are a lot of
pre-defined compression schemes. I remember that Vitec people told me
that it has some limitations if you try to go to large image video flux,
but I do not remember the details. I succeeded in encoding 640x480 video
flux (see for instance
http://www-obs.univ-lyon1.fr/~ga/galaxies.html).
Try www.vitec.com
I use bmp2avi when I need a high quality AVI video (not suitable for the
WEB, owing to the huge files generated).
MPEG is nice, but definitely lossy, even in "high quality" as
defined in MpegMaker. See for instance my animation of a solar eclipse
as seen from space, with a close fly-by of the moon, and the funny look
of the moon surface after MPEG compression (in a page parallel to the
one cited above).
Good luck...
Gilles Adam