POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height Field Warning : Height Field Warning Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Height Field Warning
From: Ken
Date: 12 Jul 1999 19:29:47
Message: <378A79E7.53DEDF76@pacbell.net>
People (term used lightly in some cases),

  By sheer accident I ran into a terrible problem rendering a HF logo
today. I was helping another Pov user via email who had sent me a logo
image he wanted to try to render in 3d. The image he sent was in .tif
format so to work with pov's HF object I first converted it to a .gif
image. After writing the .pov scene to my satisfaction I then rendered
the scene.
  It was at this point I started doubting my abilities at using this
program. The logo was was simply white text on a black background. One
would expect that the results would be raised letters with a little
background that could be easily removed with the water level modifier.
Nope ! Did not look that way. Instead I got a solid block with the
letters REMOVED !
  I shook my head, scratched a few places, and then decided I had the
colors reversed from what they should be. I opened the image in PSP and
made a negative of the original. Upon rendering the scene again with the
modified image I once again had exactly the same problem. WHAT you might
now be saying ? I sure did !
  This nonsense went on for about 20 min of trying various options but for
the life of me I could not figure out what had happened to a proven method
of 3d logo creation. It was only after shutting down the program, eating
lunch, and considerable pondering did I discover the error of my ways.
 I had saved the gif image with transparency set to the background color
option set in PSP. When the pov went to render the file it found the
transparency info contained in the gif image and was reversing (?) the
operation of the HF process. Ultimately I re-saved with transparency
disabled and it worked as expected.

  I just though you all might be interested in knowing that this too can
happen to you and if it does you will know how to correct for it.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net