POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HSL macro : Re: HSL macro Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HSL macro
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 11 Jul 1999 12:06:16
Message: <3788bc8a.24353458@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 15:01:21 +0300, Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

>Ken wrote:
>>
>>   Just curious but why do you feel more comfortable adjusting colors using
>> HSL as opposed to Pov's native rgb system ?
>>

>It is more intuitive. (Normal) people don't define colours in terms of RGB, but
>rather in terms of the hue (greenish, blueish, warm, cold), how bright or dull
>the colour is (i.e. saturation) and how dark or light it is.
>Let's say you create a colour in RGB, but find it too saturated. Decreasing
>saturation in RGB is difficult, without compromising the hue and/or lightness.
>In HSL, I first find the hue that suits me (decreasing the H value if I want it
>to be warmer, increasing for colder). Then I start tweaking S and L, while
>retaining the original hue. Opinions may vary, of course, but I find this
>approach easier.
>
>Margus

The HSL scheme certainly seems more intuitive to me than RGB.  In trying out
your macros I have created a sample scene with an array of tiles.  The source is
posted in binaries.utilities and the image; HSLTest.jpg is in binaries.images.
Thanks for the macros.
David
dav### [at] cwcomnet
http://www.hamiltonite.mcmail.com