POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sparse Data : Re: Sparse Data Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sparse Data
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 9 Jul 1999 06:15:29
Message: <3785cbc1@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <Chr### [at] compuservecom> wrote:
: Maybe, but I don't know what use they would be in this kind of a
: language, or even if it would be possible to implement them easily.

  They would be very useful in some cases. For example, if the amount of
objects may change at parse time (perhaps depending on the clock value and
the rand() function, for example).
  Suppose that I have cubical tube pattern and I create a 3D array of these
patterns with each unit rotated by a random amount of 90 degrees in each
axis. The result is a very complex set of long tubes (I have done this, it's
pretty weird; I can post an image if you want).
  Now suppose that for faster rendering I would like to optimize the scene.
If there are two contiguous cylinders, I could substitute them with one
longer cylinder. If there are two contiguous quarter-toruses I could
substitute them with a half-torus, etc.