POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sparse Data : Re: Sparse Data Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sparse Data
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Jul 1999 05:25:00
Message: <3785C0FC.9CEFE22E@compuserve.com>
>I think that we are talking about different things here.<

I think so too...

>You can't make a list structure with the povray script language. Arrays

are a bad substitute since you can't change their size after creation.<

True, I was talking about implementing a "list" or "tree" data structure
like an array. But you can change the size of an array by copying the
data to a temporary array, redefining the original to be the new size,
then copying the data back. A macro for this woud be useful, and will be
added to the next version of my macro collection.

>I think that 'new' and 'delete' along with pointers may be a good idea
for the next povray version (perhaps pov4?).<
Maybe, but I don't know what use they would be in this kind of a
language, or even if it would be possible to implement them easily.
Perhaps after the rewrite for 4.0.