POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : that color!! : Re: that color!! - Not Impressed. Server Time
15 Sep 2024 10:04:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: that color!! - Not Impressed.
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 9 Jul 1999 06:56:20
Message: <3785B9D2.A3C54331@xs4all.nl>
Ken wrote:

>   What would be a nice feature is that if it had some sort of preview ability.
> What I mean by that is something like a sphere on a colored background where
> you can judge the effects of the color change. A real nice addition would be
> the addition of filter and transmit values to the selection controls.
>
> Something to think about anyway.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

This indicates more or less what I think is the problem of such a program:
colour as defined in a POV-source file is absolute, in the rendered image it is
not. A colored sphere will look different on different backgrounds, with
different types of lighting and with all sorts of other settings that may vary
(radiosity), even though the defined colour is the same.
Of course it would be nice to have a preview in which you can set a few of these
things (transmit/filter against a coloured background). By saying that it may be
a bit problematic I don't mean you shouldn't (try to) do it. Actually I think
the transmit/filter-thing you suggest here is really worth thinking over.

Regards,

Remco
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/