POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : just a bug in the documentation! : Re: just a bug in the documentation! Server Time
28 May 2024 16:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: just a bug in the documentation!
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Date: 9 Jul 1999 04:01:27
Message: <3785AC56.941DEA65@ele.kth.se>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Your definition is absolutely right, but the original definition is too.
>   Cross product can also be formulated as:
>
>   AxB = |A| * |B| * sin(angle(A,B)) * perpendicular_unit_vector(A,B)
>
>   So the length is proportional to the angle between them.
>   Perhaps it should have a better wording, though.

proportionality between the angle and the sine of an angle is only true
for very small angles (if you use radians to define the angle)

    abs(alpha)<0.3   =>  alpha = sin(alpha) +/- 0.5%

I think it's more usefull for those non-mathematicians out there to read
that the length of the cross product of two vectors is proportional to
an area...

Uwe.