POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : that color!! : Re: that color!! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: that color!!
From: Bob Crispen
Date: 8 Jul 1999 21:25:42
Message: <37854EE9.6DDB6192@hiwaay.net>
Ken wrote:

> There is a color picker utility in the
> povray.binaries.utilities group already that pops up the standard windows
> color selection window and will past the standard <0.000,0.000,0.000>
> statement like your does and has a file size of less than 80k. There are
> also two other utilities I know of available you can find in my links
> collection that also do the same thing and each of these are also much
> less than the file size I see posted here. The color picker I use is the
> one posted in the binaries group and I find a use for it on occassion when
> I have trouble finding just the right hue of shade of that pesky color
> I am working. For that reason I would say that these are useful thing to
> have accessable when added to the tools menu in the windows version of Pov.

Even Homer nods!  Ken missed one:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/src/#ColorPicker

I reverse engineered the one in the binaries group.  It's VRMLized
(doesn't have the angle brackets or the word color or the commas)
but that's easy enough to fix, because I also include the source!
Just change one sprintf() statement.  7386 bytes zipped, source, icon,
rcfile, makefile, and executable.  It only uses kernel32.dll,
user32.dll, comdlg32.dll, and crtdll.dll.  The makefile is set up
for lcc, but I'll bet it'll compile on Cygwin and MSVC++ without
much of a hassle.
| Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen        |            "IT FOUND ME!"            |
| cri### [at] hiwaaynet            |      Campus Crusade for Cthulhu      |