POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Yahoo/GeoCities TOS: A partial dissection : Re: Yahoo/GeoCities TOS: A partial dissection Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yahoo/GeoCities TOS: A partial dissection
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Date: 6 Jul 1999 02:43:01
Message: <3781A574.5BD4275A@ele.kth.se>
Hej Chris, hej all!

I completely agree to your dissection of the Yahoo TOS with one little
comment:

> .. modify, adapt, ...
>
>   Hmmm. They can modify your work. For example, if you have an image on
>   Geocities that had been submitted under the new agreement, and that image
>   had a copyright signature written on it by you, they have the right to
>   remove that signature. (That's not to say they will, but that they can ...).

They have to include this passage as it also covers the modification of
your submitted HTML code to open their splashy windows and to include
their watermark !
Without this section in the TOS every user could sue them for their
"some words of our sponsors", banners that are included if you should
use the "geoguide" etc...

Of course they could narrow this paragraph to something that would
exclude the modification of certain parts, like pictures, text etc. but
I guess what you can read in the TOS is US lawyer language...

Uwe.